The local, community cornerstone ofSmall Business has grown on and with Millennials. After feeling like they were burned by big business during the recession, the Shop Localmovement continues to resonate well with the young consumer. AnEdelman Digital study reported that some 40% of Millennials prefer to buy local even if it costs a little bit more than mass-market alternatives.
With the AmEx event - Small Business Saturday - coming up here next month, some ideas of how you can drive more Millennial traffic into your store November 28th and beyond…
- Make it new and exciting with an in-store event (young adults and youth shop in groups)
- Bring in a ‘special guest’ for entertainment or education
- Tap into your live and local media (like radio:) to accentuate your reach
- Team up with other small businesses around you for a block party or store to store scavenger hunt
- Utilize your current customer database to help spread the word
- Tie in a great cause with a portion of proceeds supporting a community non-profit